[Ling] Body language

For sharing and chatting about any interesting information related to Linguistics.

[Ling] Body language

Postby Richard » 31 Mar 2020 08:03

The following are postures which most people associate with certain meanings. Which of these associations are valid, which are invalid, and which might be true?

1. Arms crossed means defensive
2. Hands on hips and a wide stance means power and confidence
3. Scratching nose means lying
4. Looking up and to the right means lying
5. Swaggering walk means confidence
6. Averting gaze means lying
7. Fidgeting means embarrassed
8. Raised arms and chin up means triumph and pride
9. Palms up when talking means trustworthy
Richard

Re: [Ling] Body language

Postby Jatopon P. » 09 Apr 2020 09:19

In my opinion: 1/4/5/7 might be true. 8/9 are invalid. 2/3/6 are vaild.
Jatopon P.

Postby Richard » 10 Apr 2020 04:59

Jatupon, three of them are valid, including one you identified as valid, one you identified as 'might be true', and one you identified as invalid.
Richard

Postby stevelouw » 24 Sep 2020 12:13

I would have said that 1, 2 and 8 are probably valid. The others might be true in some situations, but I would disagree with 4, 5 and 9. For instance, palms up, for me, would be something along the lines of an entreaty. Scratching nose may have a variety of meanings, for example it may mean insecurity or nervousness (which may be a result of lying, I guess). I tend to interpret a swaggering walk as a result an embarrassing fungal infection around the scrotum, through perhaps a signal of very low self-esteem. Could some of these be cultural or idiosyncratic? For instance, averting gaze seems to me to indicate submission or an unwillingness to challenge the speaker, but I wonder if that's just because I hang around dogs too much and have picked up their habits.
stevelouw

Postby Richard » 25 Sep 2020 08:05

stevelouw wrote:I would have said that 1, 2 and 8 are probably valid.

Pretty good. You have identified 2 of the 3 valid behaviours. These are not culture-specific, but apply across all cultures (as Charles Darwin, yes, that Charles Darwin, pointed out in his seminal work on body language). For example, "8. Raised arms and chin up means triumph and pride" is even used by people who have been blind from birth.
Richard

Return to Linguistics